Guberman & Appleby | Immigration Lawyers

Your TN Visa Lawyer

Your TN Visa Lawyer

Your TN visa lawyer will help prepare your application for admission to the US. 

Canadian or Mexican citizens engaging in professional activities may be granted admission to the United States for a period of up to three years as a TN “Professional”. The list of 63 types of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN nonimmigrants includes accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers, among other roles.

Qualify for a TN Visa

To qualify, an applicant must be engaged in one of the professions set forth in Appendix 1603.D.1 of the United States, Mexico, Canada Agreement (USMCA). In addition, the applicant must present documentation including an offer of employment and evidence of qualification in one of the professions. This includes copies of the applicant’s diploma(s), original citizenship, and more.

In order to assess whether you may be eligible for TN status, Guberman//Appleby Immigration Lawyers will typically request that you provide us with the following for review:

  1. A copy of your up to date and detailed resume
  2. A copy of the proposed job duties in the US
  3. Evidence of your citizenship. 

Note that in the event that you are eligible to make an application for TN status, your original educational credentials will be required for presentation.

How to Get a TN Visa - Work with an Experienced TN Visa Lawyer

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can either apply directly in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) port of entry when entering the U.S. or have your employer submit the TN application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and then seek entry once approved at a U.S. port of entry.

Mexican citizens must apply at the US Embassy/Consulate.

Applying for a TN Visa with US Immigration Law Professionals

The team of US immigration lawyers at Guberman // Appleby Immigration Lawyer are here to guide you through the process every step of the way so you can engage in business activities without undue obstacles. Work with experts on immigration law; Contact us today.

A TN Visa Lawyer Answers Your FAQs and TN Visa Application Questions

No, a spouse of a TN visa holder cannot work in the United States unless they are otherwise authorized to do so by the Department of Homeland Security.

If you have TN status, you cannot begin employment with a new or additional employer in the United States until you receive authorization from U.S. immigration authorities.

You may establish eligibility for TN classification at the time you seek admission to the United States by presenting required documentation to a US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer at certain CBP-designated U.S. ports of entry or at a designated pre-clearance/pre-flight inspection station.

Alternatively, a prospective TN employer may choose to file on behalf of a Canadian citizen who is outside the United States by submitting Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker to USCIS.

The maximum period of validity for TN status is 3 years. Extensions can be approved indefinitely for increments of three years at a time. There is no limit on the amount of time a TN visa holder can remain in the US if they continue to apply for renewals.

Can TN Status be renewed? 

Yes, TN status can be renewed provided that you continue to have a qualifying job offer. There is no maximum in terms of the number of years that an individual can continue to hold TN status.

The following professionals are eligible for a TN visa, as well as the academic qualifications for each.

  • Accountant – baccalaureate degree, C.P.A., C.A., C.G.A., or C.M.A.
  • Engineer – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license 
  • Scientist
  • Agriculturist (including agronomist) – baccalaureate degree 
  • Animal Breeder – baccalaureate degree 
  • Animal Scientist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Apiculturist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Astronomer – baccalaureate degree 
  • Biochemist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Biologist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Chemist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Dairy Scientist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Entomologist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Epidemiologist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Geneticist – baccalaureate degree \
  • Geochemist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Geologist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Geophysicist (including Oceanographer in Mexico or U.S.) – baccalaureate degree 
  • Horticulturist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Meteorologist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Pharmacologist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Physicist (including Oceanographer in Canada) – baccalaureate degree 
  • Plant Breeder – baccalaureate degree 
  • Poultry Science – baccalaureate degree 
  • Soil Scientist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Zoologist – baccalaureate degree
  • Research Assistant (working in a post secondary educational institution) – baccalaureate degree
  • Medical/Allied Professional
  • Physician (teaching and/or research only) – M.D., or state/provincial license 
  • Dentist – D.D.S., D.M.D., or state/provincial license 
  • Occupational Therapist – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license 
  • Pharmacist – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license 
  • Physio/Physical Therapist – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license 
  • Recreational Therapist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Registered Nurse – state or provincial license 
  • Veterinarian – D.V.M., D.M.V., or state/provincial license 
  • Medical Technologist – baccalaureate degree of post secondary diploma and three years’ experience – must be seeking entry to perform chemical, biological, hematological, immunologic, microscopic, and bacteriological tests, procedures, experiments, and analysis in laboratories for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease
  • Architect – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license 
  • Lawyer – L.L.B., J.D., L.L.L., B.C.L., or Licenciatura degree (five years) or membership in a state/provincial bar 
  • Technical Publications Writer – baccalaureate degree of post secondary diploma and three years’ experience
  • Teacher
    • College – baccalaureate degree 
    • University – baccalaureate degree
    • Seminary – baccalaureate degree
  • Technical Publications Writer – baccalaureate degree or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience
  • Urban Planner – baccalaureate degree
  • Vocational Counselor – baccalaureate degree 
  • Economist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Social Worker – baccalaureate degree 
  • Mathematician – baccalaureate degree 
  • Hotel Manager – baccalaureate degree or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience 
  • Industrial Designer – baccalaureate degree or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience 
  • Interior Designer – baccalaureate degree or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience 
  • Librarian – M.L.S. or B.L.S. (for which another baccalaureate degree was a prerequisite) 
  • Animal Breeder – baccalaureate degree 
  • Sylviculturist (including forestry specialist) – baccalaureate degree 
  • Range Manager (range conservationist) – baccalaureate degree 
  • Forester – baccalaureate degree, or state/provincial license 
  • Graphic Designer – baccalaureate degree, or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience 
  • Land Surveyor – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial/federal license 
  • Landscape Architect – baccalaureate degree 
  • Nutritionist – baccalaureate degree 
  • Dietician – baccalaureate degree or state/provincial license 
  • Computer Systems Analyst – baccalaureate degree, or post secondary diploma and three years’ experience 
  • Psychologist – state/provincial license 
  • Scientific Technician/Technologist must work in direct support of professionals in the following disciplines: chemistry, engineering, geology, geophysics, meteorology, physics, astronomy, agricultural sciences, biology or forestry must possess theoretical knowledge of the discipline must solve practical problems in the discipline must apply principles of the discipline to basic or applied research 
  • Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster – baccalaureate degree, or 3 years’ experience in the field of claims adjustment (admissible only when a disaster has been declared)
  • Management Consultant – baccalaureate degree or 5 years’ experience in consulting or related field

USMCA came into effect on July 1, 2020, updating and replacing NAFTA. All requirements for TN status under USMCA remain the same as under NAFTA.