Guberman & Appleby | Immigration Lawyers

Temporary Resident Visa Canada

What Is a Temporary Resident Visa Canada

What is a Temporary Resident Visa Canada?

When visiting Canada for pleasure, you may require a visitor visa also known as a Temporary Resident Visa Canada to enter. Some countries are visa-exempt (including the United States), meaning their citizens can enter Canada without a visa. Visitors from a visa-exempt country will need to obtain an eTA. This requirement is mandatory, and the application must be filed online. 

Visitors to Canada can typically stay in the country for up to six months from their date of entry. However, upon arrival, the interviewing border officer will determine the length of time you are authorized to stay for based on the purpose of your visit and your particular circumstances. Your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay in Canada. When entering Canada, visitors can be asked to provide evidence of sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay.

How to Apply for Temporary Resident Visa Canada

Whether you’re preparing an application for a temporary resident visa inside Canada or while abroad, the process can be long, complex, and nuanced. In order to ensure that your application has the highest chance for success and faces minimal delays, you need to work with an experienced Canadian immigration lawyer.

Obtaining a visa does not guarantee you admission to Canada. Anyone who seeks entry at a Canadian port of entry (POE) is examined by a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer who will decide if the person is admitted and under what conditions, including the duration of the visit. CBSA officers will routinely grant entry for a period of six months, even where the person requests entry for only a very brief period.

The team of Canadian immigration lawyers at Guberman // Appleby are here to guide you through the process every step of the way. If you or your family member is interested in filing a Temporary Resident Visa Canada application, contact us today.

What Is TRV in Canada, How to Apply for TRV and Other Temporary Resident Visa Canada FAQs

TRV is simply the abbreviation for ‘Temporary Resident Visa’. 

All initial TRV applications must be filed outside of Canada. You will need to:

  • Gather your supporting documentation (the required documentation is based on your situation and the reason for your visit)
  • File the application with the applicable documents and fees
  • Provide your biometrics
  • If your application is approved, upon request, submit your passport.

To extend your TRV from inside of Canada, you will need to:

  • Be in Canada under the authority of a work permit or study permit with a TRV that is expired, is about to expired or was a single entry TRV
  • Apply at least 2 months before you plan to leave Canada
  • Remain in Canada until your TRV is issued; otherwise, you will need to apply from outside of Canada.
  • File the application with the applicable documents and fees
  • Await a reply from Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)

You cannot work or study on a TRV unless you have a work or study permit, which you may be eligible to apply for.

IRCC will typically issue multiple entry TRV with a maximum validity of 10 years or one month before passport expiry. Single entry visas are usually only issued in limited circumstances when there is a particular and specific reason to enter Canada.

When an applicant is deemed admissible to Canada, entry is generally granted for a six-month period, subject to the discretion of Canada Border Services Agency who are entitled to restrict the duration of entry as they see fit.

  • $100.00 CAD for an individual
  • $500.00  for a family of 5 or more people applying at the same time; and
  • $85.00 CAD for biometrics
  • You must apply for extension before your TRV expires.
  • You will need to provide full details as to why you wish to stay longer, proof of your current status, and evidence of how you will support yourself while in Canada
  • You may also need to provide details about your plans to leave Canada
  • File the application along with the necessary forms, documents and fees
  • Await the reply from IRCC

Any third country national in the United States and authorized foreign nationals  present in Canada or Mexico who wishes to apply for a nonimmigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates in Canada, can make an appointment for an interview; however, there is a high level of scrutiny of applications of this nature and waiting times can be significant.

In most cases, once you leave Canada,  if your TRV is valid and you have a multiple entry visa, you will be able to return to Canada for subsequent visits.