Guberman & Appleby | Immigration Lawyers

PR Card Canada

PR Card Canada

The Permanent Resident (PR) card is an official identification document issued by the Canadian government to permanent residents of Canada. A valid PR card Canada is required for  permanent residents in order to enter the country via commercial transportation. 

One must be a Permanent Residence of Canada as evidenced by a Confirmation of Permanent Resident document, before a PR Card is issued.  Permanent residence is granted through various immigration programs, such as the Express Entry system, family sponsorship, or the Provincial Nominee Program.

As a permanent resident, one must meet the residency obligation to maintain their status and remain eligible to renew your PR card. The residency obligation states that you must be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (two years) within the last five-year period in order to maintain your PR status. If you fail to meet this requirement, your permanent resident status may be revoked. There are exceptions, for instance if you accompany your Canadian citizen spouse outside of Canada those days will count towards the 730 days of physical presence in Canada. Likewise, days working outside of Canada on a full-time basis for a Canadian business or the Canadian government will count towards the days of physical presence.

How to Renew a PR Card Canada

The team of Canadian immigration lawyers at Guberman // Appleby Immigration Lawyers are able to guide you through the PR Card application process and renewal process. If you or your family member require legal advice with respect to filing PR Card applications, contact us today.

PR Card Canada FAQs

If your permanent resident (PR) card is expired, or your PR card expires in less than nine months, you are eligible to apply for a new  PR card. It is recommended to start the processing to apply for a new PR card well in advance of the expiry date.  Then the new PR card is issued, it  will have an expiration date, and most cards are valid for five years. To be eligible for a new PR card, you must be a permanent resident of Canada, you must meet the residency obligations and you must submit your application from within Canada.

To enter Canada by plane, bus, train, or boat (any commercial means of travel), all individuals with PR status require a valid PR card. If you do not have a PR card and you leave Canada or you are outside Canada, you can apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) so you can return to Canada.

You must be a permanent resident of Canada and meet the country’s residency requirements. To be eligible for a PR card, you must have lived in Canada (been physically present) for at least two years (730 days) of the last five years. Note that days spent outside of Canada with a Canadian spouse or while working full-time for a Canadian business or the Canadian government will count towards the 730 days. 

You cannot apply for a PR Card from outside of Canada. If you are outside of Canada without a valid PR Card, you will need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD). In certain instances, there are other options to return to Canada. Should you wish to discuss them, please book a consultation with one of the Canadian immigration lawyers at Guberman//Appleby Immigration Lawyers.

In limited circumstances, it is possible to request urgent processing of a PR Card Canada.  Not only will you need to provide proof of travel and a receipt, but you will also need to explain a significant reason for the urgent processing such as illness, a death or a work requirement.