Welcome to the Guberman // Appleby Immigration Update. We hope you find the information provided relevant to your immigration needs. Our objective is to highlight recent changes in immigration that are of interest to our readers. If you have specific questions relating to this update, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada Announces New Tech Talent Strategy (27JUNE2023)
Today, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)announced that the department is establishing its first Tech Talent Strategy. This is an important growth sector for Canada and more streamlined access to foreign talent with skills in the sector is critical to ensuring that Canadian companies can compete and innovate both locally and internationally. The highlights of the announcement are:
- Launching a new open work permit stream for US H-1B visa holders to apply for a Canadian work permit, along with work and study permit options for their accompanying family members. This new work permit category will be live as of July 16, 2023 and result in work permits that are valid for up to three (3) years allowing the work permit holders to work for almost any employer anywhere in Canada. Initially, this program will be in effect for one year or up until such time that 10,000 applications are received.
- Developing an Innovation Stream for work permits to attract highly skilled individuals to Canada that includes options for employer specific work permits that are valid for 5 years for companies that have been recognized by the Canadian government as contributing to innovation goals and options for open work permit that are valid for 5 years for highly skilled worked in a selected list of in-demand occupations. This stream will be launched by the end of 2023.
- Improving processing standards for work permit applications that fall under the existing Global Skills Strategy to 14-days. (We will believe it when we see it!)
- Recognizing that Canada as a destination for digital nomads by confirming that foreign nationals who are working remotely in Canada for a foreign employer may do so for up to 6 months. Should that individual receive a job offer in Canada, they will be able to avail themselves of current policy that allow for changing from visitor status to work permit status from within Canada.
- Creating STEM driven Express Entry draws
- Improving the Start Up Visa Program.
These are all welcome changes for not only Canadian employers in the tech sector, but also for US tech employers who have continually faced challenges for their H-1B work force. Guberman // Appleby Immigration Lawyers are available to discuss how these options can assist you, your business or your employees.
// CONTACT US
We welcome you to contact us directly to discuss the above. Please contact one of our immigration lawyers, by reaching out to our general line 416 548 7100 or via email email@example.com. Our immigration lawyers are always available to discuss any of your specific Canadian or US immigration queries either virtually or in person. We look forward to hearing from you.