Canadian and US Immigration Law

Family Class Sponsorship and Spousal Sponsorship Canada

Family Class Sponsorship and Spousal Sponsorship Canada

Spousal sponsorship Canada  is a process that allows U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (green card holders) to bring their foreign spouse to the United States as a permanent resident. U.S. citizens have broader sponsorship options and shorter processing times compared to permanent residents, though both are eligible. The petitioner must be legally married to their foreign national spouse. Legally recognized common-law and same-sex marriages are also eligible.

The sponsoring spouse (petitioner) must file form I-130 and a Petition for Alien Relative with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form establishes the relationship between the petitioner and the foreign national spouse.

The petitioner needs to provide evidence of a bona fide marriage, demonstrating that the marriage is genuine and not solely for immigration purposes. Once the I-130 petition is approved, the foreign national spouse can apply for an immigrant visa.

Apply for a Spousal Sponsorship Canada with the Help of Leading Immigration Lawyers​

The application process for Spousal Sponsorship Canada can be complex. But when you work with a Canadian immigration lawyer at Guberman // Appleby Immigration Lawyers, you can rest assured that your application will be completed without errors or oversights, ensuring it faces no unnecessary delays, contact us today.

Family Class and Spousal Sponsorship Canada FAQs​

Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada who are over the age of eighteen (18) are eligible to sponsor certain family members. This includes sponsoring their spouse, common law partner, their dependent children and the dependent children of their spouse or common law partner whether they are living inside of Canada or living outside of Canada, as members of the Family Class

There are two steps to the Family Class Sponsorship and Application for Permanent Residence  process. First the sponsor’s spousal sponsorship application  is assessed and, if the sponsorship is approved, the second step is filing  the application for permanent residence for the foreign family members. 

As part of the application process, the sponsored spouse or common law partner and dependent children will require a medical examination. Any applicant over the age of 18 will also need to provide police certificates. 

If the application for permanent residence is approved, then the foreign spouse, common law partner or dependent children, will be issued Confirmation of Permanent Residence documents and permitted to immigrate to Canada.

Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) advises that spousal sponsorship applications take approximately 12 months to process; however, processing times constantly change. A complicated case can take longer if the visa officer requires additional proof of the relationship. Retaining Guberman // Appleby Immigration Lawyer can assist in ensuring that a complete and comprehensive application is filed. 

Yes, you can withdraw your spousal sponsorship application.

Many people believe that once you file your sponsorship application from inside of Canada, the person being sponsored is not allowed to leave Canada. Applicants are permitted to leave Canada during the application process; however, readmission to Canada is entirely at the discretion of the port of entry officer and the objective of the in-Canada application is that the sponsored spouse is, indeed, in Canada.  

It is necessary to possess the appropriate travel documents to facilitate the sponsored spouses return to Canada.

Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has moved to online processing for all spousal, common law and dependent child sponsorship applications.