Guberman & Appleby | Immigration Lawyers

C20 Reciprocal Employment Canada

C20 Reciprocal Employment Canada

This work permit category is intended to allow foreign workers to apply for a work permit in Canada when Canadians have similar reciprocal opportunities to work abroad. As a result of the foreign worker entering Canada, the labour market impact should be neutral. 

To make an application in this work permit category, a Canadian employer must be able to demonstrate that there are reciprocal work opportunities for Canadians abroad.  The onus is on the employer to prove that reciprocity exists. Examples of supporting documents may include a formal exchange document between the Canadian entity and the foreign entity, work contracts demonstrating an exchange of workers or an HR plan or Global Mobility Policy that verifies that exchanges, secondments, etc. are available to the employee population.

Athletes and coaches requiring work permits in Canada also fall under this category. 

Apply for C20 Reciprocal Employment Canada with the Help of Leading Canadian Immigration Lawyers

To discuss this further and outline the particular facts of your situation, please get in touch with a Canadian immigration lawyer at our law firm, Guberman // Appleby Immigration Lawyers.

C20 Reciprocal Employment Canada FAQ

A job offer is required for an individual to apply for a reciprocal work permit. Once the applicant possesses a Canadian job offer and application can be prepared. The application process depends on your country of origin and that is what will dictate whether the application is submitted through your lawyer’s authorized representative portal or made directly at the port of entry.  If you are from a Temporary Resident Visa required country then the application must be made in advance. If you are from a Visa -exempt country, you have the option to apply at the port of entry.

In some circumstances, you can extend your work permit under the same reciprocal agreement that you entered the country on. This depends on the regulations of each individual agreement. In many cases, family members of the applicant can accompany them to Canada. This included spouses, common-law partners, and dependent children.