Guberman & Appleby | Immigration Lawyers

Apply for Study Permit Canada

Apply for Study Permit Canada

A study permit is a document issued by the Government of Canada that allows international students to study at Designated Learing Institutes (DLIs) in Canada. To apply for a study permit, one must possess an acceptance letter from a DLI, provide proof of financial support to cover tuition fees and living expenses, and demonstrate that they have no criminal record and are in good health, in addition to proving their ties to their home country. Study permits are typically issued for the duration of the designated study program, plus an additional 90 days. 

Study permits come with certain conditions. Students must be enrolled full-time at a designated institution, make progress toward completing their program, and not engage in unauthorized employment. An international student on a study permit is eligible to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks. Additionally, in many circumstances, following graduation, study permit holders may apply for a post-graduate work permit that lasts for up to three years.

Apply for a Canadian Study Permit with the Help of Experienced Canadian Immigration Lawyers

Your Canadian immigration lawyer at Guberman // Appleby Immigration Lawyers can walk you through the Canadian study permit application process, ensuring you have the highest opportunity for success. Contact us today.

Study Permit Canada FAQs

Yes, you can extend your Canadian study permit. You must apply to extend your study permit at least 30 days before your current permit expires, but it is recommended that you do so 3-4 months before your expiration date. If your Study Permit has expired, you cannot  continue to study or work, but you have 90 days after expiration to apply for a “restoration of status”.

Processing times for study permits can be lengthy. Therefore, best practice is to apply well in advance of the first day of school.

You must prove you have enough money to support yourself while you study in Canada. This can include:

  1. a bank statement or a letter from a Canadian bank showing how much money you have in your bank account
  2. a copy of the letter giving the details about your scholarship or Canadian-funded educational program
  3. a letter from the person who will be financially supporting your studies in Canada (for example, a parent).  This person will need to provide a signed statement to that effect and also provide evidence of the funds available to support your studies in Canada.

You remain in Canada while your post graduate work permit is pending, provided that you applied before the expiry of your study permit.

After completing a credential at a designated learning institution (DLI), you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. Post-graduation work permits are granted to international students upon graduation from a DLI and can be issued for up to three years.